Tucked away behind the Cathedral are the Bishops Palace Gardens
Two thousand years ago the Romans built a wall for defensive purposes around the city which is still largely intact. The Cathedrals Historic Quarter lies in the south-west quadrant and the gardens date back to 1147.
Contained within the city walls with the inspiring backdrop of the Cathedral and its spire it offers both residents and visitors an opportunity to relax and unwind.
There is a 16th century gateway off South Street into Canon Lane which gives access to the Bishop’s Palace and gardens.
St Richard’s Walk leads off the Lane to the Cathedral with a view of the Deanery which was built in 1725. It replaced the original Deanery which was damaged in the English Civil War.
Vicars’ Close with the remaining four houses of twelve which once housed the vicars’ choral, leads to the Vicars’ Hall. Originally there was another row opposite, but these were turned into shops facing out into South Street in 1825.